opening a shop


yesterday i met with a new client who is opening a shop.  my job is to help with layout and design of the space-- where things should go, what color the walls should be-- that kind of thing.  it is really very fun to get to imagine another shop-- someone else's vision for what they want their shop to be.  and this one is going to be particularly great...  

of course it reminded me of the days when ari and i were putting our shop together-- we spent so much time brainstorming what we wanted to sell, what we wanted things to look like, what we wanted the whole feel of the place to be like-- we were imagining something, after all, that did not yet exist!  the other day i came upon a list of names we had come up with long before we opened-- 'the claw foot tub' was one among many similar ideas-- 'the tin ceiling', 'the (blue) laundry'-- there was a long list of house parts and home- making ideas.  some of them i still like today-- perhaps for our product line which we are hoping to bring out this fall....  

my meeting yesterday also reminded me of how little i knew when we first started-- these last five years have changed everything in my life around, and taught me so many, many things.  usually i still feel like the new kid on the block-- i am just getting my feet wet as a retailer-- but every now and then i am reminded that there was a time i had not yet imagined what my shop would look like!

and now look!

-mary-moore.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...