sharing food



one common thread in people's stories about their homes is about food, eating, and shared family meals.

i have mentioned before that there are a number of things that i can't eat-- gluten, corn, and soy to name the big three. i was diagnosed with celiac disease a few weeks after my daughter was diagnosed (and the lightbulb went off in my head!). for me not eating things that make me sick is easy-- generally-- and my daughter and i are really happy to be healthy and feel good.

the hard part, however, is that it is less easy to share food. within our family it is easy--i make really good food that we can all eat, and we sit down together and dig in. but for many other people-- people used to eating the full range of food-- our diet can seem restrictive. i am happy to hang out with people eating whatever they are eating-- bread, for instance, no longer looks like food to me-- so there is no sense of hardship about it. but there is a certain something that is missing when people eating together cannot share food.

tonight my friend tim stopped by and shared our dinner-- pizza made on chewy rice crust, pesto sauce, chunks of mozzarella, artichoke hearts, and fresh tomatoes chopped on top. he was a real sport about it and i was glad.

it is always good to be home.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...